This workshop takes needle felting to the next level! It’s designed for anyone who has some needle–felt experience and wants to learn new techniques, expanding their creativity and technical ability in this fun medium.
We’ll be discussing:
- The basics of using the needle effectively and efficiently – a quick refresher!
- Building and integrating basic wire armatures (framework or skeleton) into felt sculptures. This greatly expands your ability to create more complex, self-supporting structures.
- Creating a solid internal core structure – this will help you to efficiently create firm sculptures
- How to let colour and the natural properties of wool take you in new, creative directions and how to use embellishments to create unique personalities!
We’ll be working on a funky bird! These fellas have an external/internal armature and are an excellent way to start working with armatures while being creative. We’ll be building a solid internal core around an armature. Then we’ll cover it with coloured wool, experimenting with soft sculpting and adding embellishments to create a unique bird. In the second half of the day, we’ll work on creative sculpture with an internal armature – this will give you an opportunity to learn how to wrap wool around appendages and experiment with different techniques
Audience: This workshop is suitable for adults and teenagers with some needle felting experience.
Supplies: Most supplies, including prepared wire and wool, are included in the registration fee.
Needle-felt needles can be purchased from instructor for $2.00 or brought from home. Foam blocks can be purchased for $2.50, brought from home, or borrowed from the LAC studio.
Optional items to bring from home might include:
- Beads, buttons, wool locks, crafting wire, strong yarn (synthetic is fine) and whatever strikes your fancy!
- Notebook and pen, scissors and masking tape. And - if you have them - medium and/or small wire cutters and pliers. We will have some to share. As we will be working with wire, safety glasses are recommended.
Please don’t forget a lunch, water bottle and snack!
Registration cost: $85 plus GST & Eventbrite Fees*
* or register by phone: 403-931-3633, Tues-Sat, 10 am – 4 pm to avoid Eventbrite fees
Registration closes on Wed, Mar. 13, 2019 at 9 PM
Did you know that Members of the Leighton Art Centre, get 10% off the registration cost of all workshops and kids’ summer camps? Please visit www.leightoncentre.org/support/members for more info.
For our Cancellation and Refund Policy, please visit www.leightoncentre.org/programs-events/adult-programs.
Fay has been felting for over 15 years and has had her work in local and national shows and sales all over Alberta. She is a member of the Bragg Creek Artisans, Sheep Creek Weavers, Alberta Craft Council, and felt : feutre and has taught classes and workshops in a variety of settings. She is currently enrolled in a BFA program at the Alberta Collage of Arta and Design.
To see some of Fay's needle felt pieces or ask a question, please check out her website at www.fayhodson.com